Unit 5: Short Stories
In this unit you will choose 2 short stories to read and then analyze. There are many, many stories to choose from! Below are a few recommendations, but if there is a particular story that you feel strongly about please present it to me and we’ll talk.
Short Story Collections
- “Native Voices” Gardipy Ahenakew & Freda Ahenakew
- “The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven” Sherman Alexie
- “Glass Beads” Dawn Dumont
- “Bad Endings” Carleigh Baker
- “10 Little Indians” Sherman Alexie
- “Moccasin Square Gardens” Richard Van Camp
- “Blood Sports” Eden Robinson
- “Trap Lines” Eden Robinson
- “One Good Story, That One” Thomas King
- “Read Listen Tell: Indigenous Stories From Turtle Island” Sophie McCall & Deanna Reder
- “In this Together: 15 Stories of Truth and Reconciliation” Danielle Metcalfe-Chenail
- “Walking the Clouds: An Anthology of Indigenous Science Fiction” Grace L. Dillon
- A Drug Called Tradition – Sherman Alexie
- This Is What It Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona – Sherman Alexie
- A Mountain Legend – Jordan Wheeler
- Somebody Kept Saying Powwow – Sherman Alexie
- The One About Coyote Going West – Thomas King
*** This list will continue to grow over time. We have An Anthology of Native Literature available as well, which contains many great short stories that you are welcome to use.
ACTIVITY: Once you’ve chosen your two stories to analyze, use the worksheet below to guide you through your analyses of the stories.