Unit 9: Novel Study
You’re nearly finished English First Peoples 12! Well done! All that’s left is the novel study. Lucky for you, we have a FANTASTIC collection of novels by Indigenous authors. Talk to Rory for ideas, or browse our Indigenous Library in the student lounge.
These are the guidelines for your novel study: Novel Study Guidelines
Here are some novels to consider (these are all available at Nala’atsi):
- Indian Horse – Richard Wagamese
- Monkey Beach – Eden Robinson
- The Marrow Thieves – Cherie Dimaline
- Kiss of the Fur Queen – Tomson Highway
- Keeper’n Me – Richard Wagamese
- Halfbreed – Maria Campbell
- There There – Tommy Orange
- Secret of the Stars – Gitz Crazyboy
- Moon of the Crusted Snow – Waubgeshig Rice
- The Night Wanderer – Drew Hayden Taylor
- Motorcycles & Sweetgrass – Drew Hayden Taylor
- Son of a Trickster – Eden Robinson
- On the Back of the Turtle – Thomas King
- Medicine Walk – Richard Wagamese
- Birdie – Tracey Lindberg
- Raven’s Song – Lee Maracle
- Reservation Blues – Sherman Alexie
- Fire Song – Adam Garnet Jones
It will probably help to take notes about the novel as you read (not exhaustive notes, just something to help you remember what you’ve read when you get to the assignment).
Congratulations, you’ve finished English First Peoples 12!