French Immersion Program
What is French Immersion?
We are very proud to offer a French Immersion program in School District 71. Mark R. Isfeld is a dual track secondary school which hosts this program through grades 8 to 12. We are the only school in the district offering the secondary level French Immersion program. Students entering our school come from both Early (Kindergarten start) and Late (Grade 6 start) French Immersion programs at Ecole Robb Road and Ecole Puntledge Park. Currently, approximately half of our school’s population is in the French Immersion program.
The French Immersion program is intended for non-French speaking students who wish to develop a high level of proficiency in both French and English. The program is based on the BC curriculum and the various learning opportunities, activities, instruction, and resources parallel those of a neighborhood, English program.
French Immersion is a program rather than a course. As such, it includes a variety of subjects where the instructional language is French. Students learn science, math, social studies and language arts in French. One purpose of the French Immersion Program is to provide a learning environment that allows students to acquire the language skills needed to proficiently communicate in French. The expectation is all members of the class consistently speak in French with peers as well as teachers. This becomes increasingly important at the secondary level as the students progressively take fewer courses in French.
Courses in French for French Immersion Students
|Grade 8||Grade 9||Grade 10||Grade 11||Grade 12|
Cultural Activities Throughout the Year
Since French is a minority language in our community, we feel it is key to create a French speaking culture within our classrooms and our entire school. When possible, we may organize a variety of the following events to allow our students a richer connection to the francophone community:
- Grade 8 and 12 Beach Day in September where the grade 12s organize games for the new grade 8s. Welcome to the program, connections with older students who are finishing the program.
- Souper de Noel: all grades in French Immersion participate in a traditional Québécois meal. Organized by the grade 12s.
- Journée de la Franophonie: Grade 8s represent a country from around the world. Feeder schools attend.
- Every 2 years or so, about 20 students in grade 8 participate in a one week exchange to Quebec.
- Concours d’art oratoire
- Théâtre la Seizième
- Cabane à sucre or Carnaval celebrations
- French Movie Day at a local cinema
- Other cultural presenters
- “One for one” exchanges are available to France and other countries through SD71’s international student program
- Study in British Columbia Exchange Program
Connections with Feeder Schools
Grade 11s are paired with a grade 1 or 2 class at Robb Road.
Extra Assistance Available: Homework club on Tuesday mornings from 8am – 9am in room 100. French Immersion grade 12 students available to assist students. French Immersion educational assistant, Mme. Beaulieu, is also available during that time.
Parents! Are you interested in improving your French?
This is a link to Beginner French Lessons for SD71 French Immersion parents sponsored by Canadian parents for French. This link to current offrings (Nov. – Dec. 2019) of French courses for parents of Immersion students.
Canadian Parents for French
The BC / Yukon sit of the CPF is a very rich resource for both students and parents involved in Immersion. There are ideas for homework help, links to resources to practice oral and listening skills, blog posts, and articles concerning all aspects of French Immersion.