Ideas for Success
- Volunteerism – community, school (Important to give service/give back to others/ Be creative)
- Leadership activities
- Keep a record of all applications/essays (you can tweak information to use again)
- Terms: Bursary = financial need Scholarship = academic standing
- Reference Letters – from employers, teachers, coaches, close family friends (not relatives!)
Early Scholarships: Very Competitive
- Horatio Algers – $5000 Online application. Deadline: Oct 25,2020 Experienced adversity in your life.
- LORAN Award – $100,000. School Sponsored Candidates (only 3) – complete school application form by Oct 1, 2020 by 3:30 PM. If selected, complete online application. Deadline: October 15, 2020. Direct Pool Candidates – Online application Deadline: October 22, 2020.
- Schulich Leadership Scholarship – $100,000 STEM programs at post-secondary. Career choices: technology, engineering, entrepreneurship/business, applied scientific research. School Sponsored Candidates (only 1) – complete school application form by Nov 13, 2020 by 3:30 PM. If selected, complete online application. Deadline: January 27, 2021.
- TD Scholarships for Community Leadership – up to $10,000 for 4 years. Deadline: Nov 13, 2020.
School/School District Based: applications available beginning of Feb 2021 Deadline – March 2021 TBA
- Isfeld Bursaries – donated by various community groups
- District Authority Awards – $1250 voucher
BC Ministry Scholarships:
- BC Achievement Scholarships – top 8000 students in BC will receive $1250 voucher. No application.
- BC Excellence Scholarship – One student will be nominated by the school (no application). There are 55 scholarships available to recognize well-rounded B.C. graduates. $5,000 voucher.
- Pathway to Teacher Education – $5000 voucher. Must attend an approved K-12 teacher education program at one of BC’s nine Faculties of Education.
- Research BC post-secondary programs
- Apply to most BC institutions through this site
- Financial Aid information
Important Upcoming Sessions
- How-To Session – Tips for Post-Secondary Applications (including using BC Transcript Services). Date/Time – Flex Time 2:30-3:30 October 13 or 14.
- Virtual Fair with BC Post Secondary Institutions – Nov 18 (2:00 – 6:00 PM) and Nov 19 (3:00 – 7:00 PM)
Info and link will be sent home to parents and students via email.
Click here for the School Sponsorship Application for External Scholarships. This form needs to be filled out for both the Loran Award and the Schulich Leadership Scholarship.
BCAHA Tribute Bursary Fund 2021
The BCAHA Tribute Bursary Fund exists to assist in the education of deserving youth or adult students enrolled in post-secondary education, at a recognized British Columbia institution, in a human healthcare field. This bursary is funded by member auxiliaries, businesses and private individuals who share the value in financially supporting future healthcare professionals in our province.
Four $1000 bursaries will be awarded in any healthcare related program. Application deadline: May 15, 2021.
Fallen Loggers Memorial
The bursary is available to grade 12 students on Vancouver Island, Powell River and Haida Gwaii pursuing a post secondary education or training within a forestry related field.
Public Guardian and Trustee Educational Assistance Fund
The Public Guardian and Trustee Educational Assistance Fund was established in June 1989. The Fund was derived from the generous donations of three private benefactors. The charitable intention of all three benefactors was to financially assist British Columbians in pursuing educational development for their future careers. In establishing the Fund, the government of British Columbia has attempted to reflect the charitable intentions of the original benefactors. Since 1989, the Fund has provided annual bursaries to individuals who meet the requirements of the terms of the trust document and demonstrate a strong desire to develop a future career path through their educational goals.
The purpose of the Fund, as set out in the trust document is, “to assist any beneficiary selected under the provisions of the Trust to further his or her educational goals, whether academic or vocational, provided that the bursary shall not be used as a sole means of support but rather as a supplement to existing funding to cover shortfalls in fees, books, maintenance, and/or transportation which might otherwise cause the individual affected to terminate his or her studies prematurely”.
For more information and to apply for this Bursary, click here
Application Deadline: April 15, 2021
Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC
Scholarship and Bursary available for studies in Occupational Health and Safety. The Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC is pleased to offer a $2500 scholarship and $500 bursary to students pursuing education in occupational health and safety.
The Daneen Skilling Scholarship is an annual award to honour Ms. Daneen Skilling, a dedicated and professional business and community leader in ensuring workplaces are safe and healthy. This award also includes support in obtaining a secondary practicum opportunity following successful completion of an accredited OHS degree, diploma, or certificate program with a minimum GPA of 3.5.
In memory of safety auditor Julie Cole, a new bursary will be awarded for the first time in 2021 to a student with demonstrated financial need.
For more information and to apply for this scholarship, click here.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2021
2021 EFMABC Bursaries
The Educational Facility Managers Association of British Columbia is pleased to offer five $1,000.00 bursaries to graduates of the 2020/2021 school year. Our association is comprised of administrative and management personnel of school districts who are responsible for construction, maintenance and custodial services, etc.
These bursaries are offered to secondary students completing their grade 12 year who will enter a recognized post secondary educational institution in the 2020/2021 term. Bursaries will be awarded on the basis of academic achievement and/or special needs.
Preference will be given to students entering the fields of engineering, architecture, or building technology. Should there not be suitable applications received in these fields, students in other courses of study will be considered, however, all applicants MUST be dependents of school district employees in the school facilities area (i.e. Maintenance or Custodial).
Application forms, available from your school Counsellor, or your district’s Maintenance EFMABC member, are to be completed in full and submitted to:
EFMABC Bursary Committee
Ken Janzen, Co-Chair
School District #41 Burnaby
3350 Norland Avenue
Cintha Winters, Co-Chair
School District #36 Surrey
6700 – 144th Street
The deadline for receipt of Bursary applications is April 30, 2021
In March of every year, North Island College offers hundreds of bursaries to students. If you are planning on attending, you can access these awards at this link.
2020/21 BC Provincial Scholarships program
Applications for these scholarships close on February 15th, 2021
Coast Capital Savings – Standing Tall Award
Coast Capital is again offering a Standing Tall Award to a student from our district that has faced adversity and has not only risen up against the odds, but has demonstrated a commitment to continue their education. This award is open to students who have faced challenges like poverty, health, family issues, personal loss and lack of support. Last year, 61 students from 23 school districts across Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, mid- and southern Vancouver Island and the Central Okanagan who have overcome adversity and personal challenges received a total of $155,000 to help start their post-secondary education.
- March 1 – Application forms available on the Coast Capital website. All Youth Education Awards information and timeline will be updated on the Coast Capital website by March 1.
- April 9 – Deadline for students to submit applications to their school counsellor.
- April 23 – School to have selected an application from their school to be forwarded to the SBO for final selection by the Assistant Superintendent of Schools. Please include a tally of applications received by your school.
- May 7 – Deadline for the School District to inform Coast Capital Savings of their Education Award winner and a backup (in case the student declines or does not meet the eligibility requirements).
BC School Sports Scholarship Fund
The Member Schools of BC School Sports are pleased to announce this year’s BC School Sports Scholarship Fund. The association is dedicated to assisting worthy student athletes in their desire to attend an accredited Canadian University or College. BC School Sports Scholarships reward excellence in both scholastic and athletic pursuits. The Successful applicants will be student athletes who have balanced their high academic achievements with significant success as school athletes and contributions to their community.
Scholarships shall be awarded to students enrolled in member schools who apply, and who meet all of the criteria.
Scholarship Deadline is Monday, May 3, 2021 at 4pm.
Pathway To Teacher Education Scholarship
The Pathway to Teacher Education scholarship is awarded to 20 outstanding high school graduates who have demonstrated a commitment to and aptitude for a career in K-12 teaching.
Recipients receive a $5000 scholarship voucher that they can redeem with the Ministry of Education after they are attending an approved K-12 teacher education program at one of BC’s nine Faculties of Education.
Students have seven years to redeem their Pathway to Teacher Education scholarship vouchers; an expiry date is printed on each voucher and extensions are not possible.
- February 15, 2021: applications due by 11:59 pm PST
- Early June 2021: conditional recipients and their schools notified by email
- September 2021: conditional recipients checked against eligibility requirements
- Fall 2021: paper scholarship vouchers mailed to confirmed recipients
Schulich Leader Scholarships are the largest and most prestigious undergraduate Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) scholarships in Canada, with a value of up to $100,000 each. Fifty students receive this celebrated award each year – a top student can win from your school! Last year, 70% of winning recipients came from schools that had never produced a Schulich Leader before.
- Every high school in Canada may nominate one student per academic year
- Nomination deadline is January 27, 2021
See Mr. Swanson in the Counselling Centre for more information.
The Loran Scholars Foundation is beginning its search for the 31st class of Loran Scholars, and we need your help to identify students who demonstrate strength of character, dedication to serving others in the community, and the promise of leadership potential.
The individuals we seek possess integrity, courage, compassion, intellectual curiosity, as well as a high level of personal autonomy and self-motivation.
Valued at up to $100,000, the Loran Award includes study at one of our 25 partner universities, summer internships, mentorship, and participation in a community of supporters and alumni working towards a better country and world.
The deadline for school sponsored applications is October 15th, 2020 at 8:00pm (Eastern Time).
- Each high school may sponsor up to three students.
- Additional students may submit direct pool applications (without sponsorship) by October 22nd, 2020 at 8:00pm (Eastern Time).
Please see Mr. Swanson in the Counselling Centre for more information.
RE/MAX 2021 Quest for Excellence®
The Quest for Excellence program is a bursary program for grade 12 students in Western Canada. It was established by RE/MAX of Western Canada to recognize the success and ongoing pursuits of Western Canadian students in regard to leadership and community contribution initiatives.
What is Awarded?
RE/MAX of Western Canada will award 16 bursaries of $1,000 each to qualifying Grade 12 students. In addition, each award includes a Certificate of Excellence signed by the Regional Executive Vice President of RE/MAX of Western Canada. Winners will be notified in April 2021.
Who Can Participate?
The Quest for Excellence is open to all Grade 12 students attending high school from September 2019 – June 2020. Grade 12 students may not have participated in graduation commencement ceremonies in the past. Applicants must be a resident of one of the following provinces/territories.
What is Required?
Students are to convey the contributions they have made to their communities in a short online essay, maximum 1,250 words. Key qualities students should demonstrate are leadership, motivation and communication skills. Other attributes may include volunteering, participation in charitable events or fundraising, and contributions that enrich the lives of others and their communities.
Cmolik Scholarship – up to $40,000 per recipient
Who should apply?
Eligible applicants must:
- Be a resident of BC
- Have lived in Canada for a minimum of 7 years
- Plan to graduate from a BC secondary school
- Plan to attend and study full time at a post secondary university, college or trade school
- Be ineligible for the BC Tuition Waiver Program (for former youth in care)
- Have experienced adversity or hardship
- Have exhibited a good work ethic
- Have demonstrated financial need
- Evidence of leadership involvement
Beedie Luminaries is a social-profit enterprise designed to help remove barriers to education and provide wrap-around support for promising students who are facing financial adversity. Students who are smart, but constrained by circumstance. Students who are ready to rise above their circumstances and achieve their dreams.
Our scholarship provides access to BC public universities, colleges and trade schools and enables promising Grade 12 BC students to achieve their dreams.
- 105 scholarships offered in 2021
- $40,000 per student / 4-year undergraduate degree
- $15,000 per student / 2-year college or trade-school diploma
- “Stay on Track” student support
- BL Peer Support Groups
- Access to mentors
- Summer paid internship opportunities
Scholarships Canada is a free website with an extensive database (80,000+ scholarships!) that lists numerous scholarship opportunities in detail. When you register you will provide information ranging from your year of study to your hobbies, which will be used as keywords to run through their system.
At the end of the process, you will have an inbox of awards that are appropriate for you based on the information you supplied. In addition, they have a number of sister websites that provide a comprehensive system for guiding students through the post-secondary experience: School Finder, Study in Canada and Grad School Finder. Scholarships Canada also offers online webinars on a number of different topics and newsletters.
Formerly known as Student Awards, this was rebranded as yconic in December 2014. This is also a free website where you complete a registration process and an inbox of scholarships is created for you. yconic also has an online community, where you can interact with other students.
In the event that you are wondering whether recipients have been contacted regarding a certain scholarship or if you are interested in hearing other students’ experience with a particular program, you can post a thread on the forum to ask other students or browse through first as the question may have already been asked and answered.
Student Financial Assistance Website
This Student Financial Assistance website is run by the Government of Canada. This resource provides information on Canadian post-secondary education.
Education Planner BC
If you live in British Columbia or are planning to study in British Columbia, Education Planner BC can help you compare post-secondary options.
Student Budget Calculators
There are a number of online calculators that can help you build a budget for post-secondary expenses. Below are links to several options: