Reasons For Taking WEX 12
- Earning up to eight Grade 12 elective credits
- Connecting classroom learning with the workplace
- Practicing resume writing and job interview skills
- Learning workplace skills that are transferable to other employers
- Fulfilling community service hours required for graduation
- Helping students make decisions about career choices
- Building a network of industry contacts and
- Increasing self-confidence and potential
- Students will also learn to apply hazard recognition and injury prevention skills
WEX 12 Course Outline
After a student meets with the WEX Coordinator they will complete their First Assignment, Training Plan, and Safety Checklist. A worksite inspection and Placement Agreement Form will then be completed by an SD71 staff member. Once these are documented and in a student’s file they may start to log their work hours.
Students are required to record and maintain a record of their work experience placement. This record may be used to verify work hours from time to time. In addition, here is a list of all requirements for the course:
- Training Plan and Safety Checklist
- First Assignment
- Work Experience Placement Agreement
- Two performance feedback forms from employer
- A written log of hours worked and duties performed
- Resume and cover letter
- Final Work Term Report
Code of Conduct and Ethics
- Attitude and work ethic
- Cooperativeness with employer
- Dependability and initiative
- Quality of work
- Workplace attendance
- Transportation to/from the work site
Do you have a part-time job?
If so, you may be able to take WEX 12A and WEX 12B and gain 8 credits towards graduation. Students must visit their Careers Office and register for the courses.
An application form and a few additional documents must be in place PRIOR to students beginning to log their work-based hours.
As well, students are not able to use previous hours, the only hours that may be considered are those hours gained AFTER the Work Experience contract has been signed by the Career Coordinator or Teacher, application documents are submitted, and a Worksite inspection has been completed.
Please visit your Careers Office today and speak to a Work Experience Coordinator who will help get you set up.
G.P. Vanier Career Office
Career Coordinator: Kelley Giorgianni
Mark R. Isfeld Career Office
Career Coordinator: Randy James
Highland Career Office
Career Coordinator: Tracey.MvKinney
Glacier View Career Office
Career Coordinator: Dawn Stevens