- Instruction takes place via online theory through Camosun College. This is typically 2 hours per day and can be done at home.
- On Thursdays, students are at Isfeld Secondary in the foods room with Tammy Williamson (Home Ec teacher).
- Throughout the week students complete a minimum of 20 hours per week Work Experience at a local restaurant. SD71 will help place them at these local restaurants but cannot guarantee it.
Qualify for high-demand jobs locally and around the world. Employment opportunities are very high for cooks according to the BC Labour Market Review.
Past graduates have worked for companies in town such as;
Black Fin Pub, Crown Isle, Il Falcone, Kingfisher, Locals, Martine’s, Salmon Point Restaurant, The Griffin Pub, Toscano’s, White Spot
A Professional Cook must complete 3 levels (Professional Cook 1, 2 and 3) including 5000 workplace hours and 540 in-school hours of training completed in three levels of training, each for six weeks. After completion and achievement of a passing grade, the apprentice will hold the B.C. Certificate of Apprenticeship, B.C. Certificate of Qualification, and the Inter provincial Standard Endorsement also known as Red Seal
Isfeld Secondary School (1 day a week)
How do I get started?
- Meet with the Career Teacher at your school
- Plan your Grade 11 & 12 classes
- Complete a SD71 District Train In Trades Application
- Meet with a Work Experience coordinator to set up a work experience placement
- Sign up for S.T.E.P.
- Apply for a Trades Sampler program
- Meet with your school counselor to ensure you are programmed into the right courses
How should I timetable my courses?
Below is a sample timetable showing the pathway and required courses needed between Grade 10 – 12 so a student could take the Camosun College epprentice Cook Program in their Grade 12 year.
|Grade 10||Grade 11||
Elective 11 (CLE11*)
*Grade 11 Academic?
Elective 10/Elective 10
Socials 11 or 12
Counts as Grade 12 Electives
Who can/do I talk to?
G.P. Vanier Career Office
Mark R. Isfeld Career Office
Highland Career Office
Glacier View Career Office
Career Coordinator: Dawn Stevens
District Trades Coordinator
Email: Steve Claassen@sd71.bc.ca
TRADES PROGRAM APPLICATION FORMSIf you will complete any of the following applications digitally, make sure you download and save them to your computer first before completing. You can use the Fill & Sign feature in Adobe Acrobat Reader to sign it.
FILLABLE - District Application - Trades 2020 (Can be done at home and brought to Careers Teacher)
FILLABLE - Grade 12 SLP - Fall 2020 (Can be started at home and brought to Careers Teacher)
ITA Youth Train In Trades Application Form (To completed once accepted to program)
NIC Trades Application -Sample Only (See a school's Careers Department for actual one)