Marine Search & Rescue Junior Camp
The Royal Canadian Marine Search And Rescue(RCM-SAR) Junior Crew Training Program offers Grade 10 – 12 students the opportunity to learn marine first aid, electronic navigation, VHF radio operation, practical seamanship and the operation of Fast Response Vessels. Students earn their Pleasure Craft Operator Certificates (PCOC), VHF Radio Operators Certificate (ROCM), Basic Marine First Aid, as well as navigation skills, boat handling, anchoring, weather conditions (meteorology) and man overboard training. The camp has an evening classroom component in the Winter (Starts January) plus multiple Crew Training sessions that are “On The Water” aboard the Station 60 rescue vessels. The program will run until May with these sessions happening from February through April.
Additional field trips will also be organized with the Canadian Coastguard.
- Students will be required to complete a “Water” fitness test
- Classroom/Evening (8 Sessions x 2hrs) beginning January
- There will be examinations (PCOC, ROC-M, etc)
- Students will get 4 credits of Wex12A
- Fee for the program – still TBD
Comox Youth Firefighter Camp
The camp is set up to simulate the training experience of professional firefighters. Students will be staying in two facilities at both the fire hall and the Comox Recreation Center, with full supervision at all times provided by the Comox Firefighters Association. During the week they will participate in incredible “hands-on training” in approximately seventeen different areas. They will be provided with three FULL meals per day plus evening snacks. Many Volunteer hours are put in by the firefighters!
- Open to students Grade 10 – 12.
- Dates: TBA
- Comox Fire Training Center.
- Sign up sheet and more details available at the Careers Office.
Students will be exposed to a simulated physical ability requirement evaluation, which is currently required for RCMP entry. This is a physically rigorous test. Completion of this test requires participants to perform at near maximum heart rates, challenge upper body strength, muscular endurance and coordination skills.
- HMCS Quadra
- Dates: TBA
- Open to students to Grade 10-12
Sign up sheet and full details available at Careers Office.
- The physical components of the RCMP Mountie Camp include a conditioning program, participation in team sport games, and simulations of police scenarios, involving chasing, controlling and apprehending suspects.