Provincial COVID-19 Announcements
Regular updates from the Provincial Health Officer and the Ministries of Health and Education regarding policy, direction and other significant announcements surrounding COVID-19 and its impact on education.
Update February 23
NEW! Based on feedback from the K-12 Education Steering Committee, the Provincial COVID-19 Health & Safety Guidelines for K-12 Settings have been enhanced to clarify requirements related to masks, physical activities, and off-campus settings. Changes have been highlighted. Please note, the BCCDC guidelines have not changed.
Update February 4
Enhanced safety measures and $121.2 million in federal funding are on the way, as the Province continues to strengthen health and safety plans in K-12 schools to keep students, teachers and staff safe during the pandemic. Complete details here.
Update December 8
Extended Provincial Health Officer Order, for all individuals, places of work and businesses in B.C. to significantly reduce their level of social interactions and travel, outlined here.
Update December 7
The Ministry has produced a Q&A document to assist schools and school districts in interpreting the new provincial orders and updated WorkSafeBC guidance regarding COVID-19. Topics include mask requirements, employee health checks, school programs and sports, and community use of schools.
Update December 4
COVID-19 Health and Safety Re-occupancy Requirements and Protocols have been updated to reflect new direction from the Provincial Health Officer on daily health checks and symptoms.
Update November 20
Expanded Provincial Health Officer Order, November 19, 2020 The Provincial Health Officer issued an order for all individuals, places of work and businesses in B.C. to significantly reduce their level of social interactions and travel. Read here.
Update September 15
Update September 4
Update August 26
Ministry of Education released its plan to support safe return to classrooms. Read online here.
Comox Valley Schools – Return to School Plan September 2020
Update August 21
Ministry of Education new website dedicated to the Return to School has been updated to include posters for use in our school sites. Read more here.
Update August 18
Update August 7
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)- Back to School September 2020. Read more online in the Deputy Minister of Education’s bulletin here.
Update July 29
Detailed Stage 2 Return to School Plan online here.
Update March 31
The Ministry of Children and Family Development, released an information bulletin, “Province helps essential service workers find child care” that includes an update for K-12 parents. Read more here.
Update March 27
The Ministry of Education launched Keep Learning – a resource for families to find ideas for everyday educational activities, links to free learning resources, as well as how to help children learn and how to ensure their wellbeing while they’re at home – read here. Teachers and schools will still have the primary responsibility for continuous learning. More details in the following news release here.
Superintendent of Schools – Letters to Families
Other Letters to Families
- Health and Safety Letter – Cleaning Our Schools, June 5
- Ministry of Education Letter to Parents, March 27 (Eng)
- Ministry of Education Letter to Parents, March 27 (Fre)
- Government of British Columbia Letter to Parents, Guardians and Staff, Mar 13
Superintendent of Schools – Letters to Staff
- Exposures in Schools (Jan 12)
- WorkSafe BC Updated Protocols (Nov 19)
- COVID-19 Guidance About School Attendance, Doctors of B.C.
- Contact tracing – How public health diagnoses individuals who may have COVID-19 or come into contact with someone who dies to help prevent the virus from spreading in a community – read here.
- The BC Centre for Disease Control has updated its website with the most recent information on school safety and child care safety protocols. Read here.
- Public Health Association of BC, How Parents Can Fight Misinformation From Home
- Caring for Children with COVID-19
- Kids and COVID-19 QA
- CBC Kids along with the PHO produced a kid-centric Q and A video about COVID-19. Watch it here.
- Novel Coronavirus Q&A from HealthLinkBC
- BC Centre for Disease Control
COVID-19 Resource Guide
A handy resource guide has been created by the team in Student Services in collaboration with District staff and educators to help link families with community supports during the COVID-19 pandemic. The guide is on the Parents page and as new information becomes available, we will update the guide online.